Hands up if you like pizza?
Last week Mr 3P and I attended a Pizza Masterclass in Melbourne and I thought I'd share a few of the tips we picked up from the experts and what we used for our base and toppings.
- Yummy fresh ingredients will always make your pizza special.
- Not overloading the base with too many toppings will ensure that your pizza will cook evenly and not end up a soggy mess. I love that the pizza (above) that one of the chefs' made has just a few simple ingredients and fresh, uncooked toppings too!
- Some toppings, like mushrooms should be pre-cooked before using. The chef cooked his mushrooms in a little olive oil and garlic. I cooked some at home in the same way but added some chilli too!
- Other toppings should be added AFTER your pizza is cooked... like rocket, baby spinach and freshly shaved Parmesan cheese.
Now you can make your own base (like my Farmer's bread recipe here) or you can save the hassle, especially if you're on your way home and can't be bothered making the base, but still want to have some home made pizza. You can pick up these fresh bases from Baker's Delight. They kindly supplied the bases on the night and they were really yummy. Simply add your toppings and pop in the oven....easy
On my pizza I used
- a little of the Leggos Traditional Basil Pesto and some Sugo di Pomodoro
- Bertocchi Flat Sopressa hot salami
- Sauteed button mushrooms
- Lots of anchovies
- Fresh chilli (seeds removed)
- Bertocchi pancetta
- Black olives
- Perfect Italiano Pizza Plus...what a difference this cheese makes to a pizza! I'd normally just use some cheddar. This was a blend of cheese that is perfect to sprinkle on your pizza. It really made the difference and wasn't oily like the cheddar can be.
We were so inspired by our pizza masterclass that we made some more for lunch the next day.
So, what's your favourite pizza topping? And the biggest debate of all time.....does pineapple have the right to be on a pizza?
All of these photos were taken with my iphone as I didn't want to lug around my DSLR on the night, so sorry about the picture quality. xx