Classic Sconesmakes 12
2 cups self raising flour
30g butter, chopped
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1. Sift flour into bowl and rub in the butter.
2. Add the combined milk and water (reserving about 1 tablespoon). Using a butter knife, mix to a soft sticky dough. Do not over mix..
3. Turn onto lightly floured surface and knead gently (over kneading will result in tough scones). Press or roll out to 2cm thickness and cut into rounds with a floured cutter.
4. Place closely together or lightly greased tray or line with baking paper. Brush with reserved liquid.
5. Bake in a very hot oven (220C) for 10 to 12 mins or until scones sound hollow when tapped.. Cool on a wire rack.
Serve with Jam & Cream.